Below, Hooper Island Lighthouse as it appeared in the 1950s, when the lighthouse had a boat with a cabin to protect the keeper when travelling to and from the mainland during inclement weather. In 1925, a wealthy woman from New York donated a number of radios to the U.S. Lighthouse Service, one which made its way to Hooper Island Lighthouse and made life more tolerable for the lighthouse keepers. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2017
Hooper Island Again Offered Up for Adoption
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017