For the second time in its history, Maryland’s Hooper Island Lighthouse was offered up for adoption by the General Services Administration under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act (NHLPA).
In 2009, also under the NHLPA, the 1902 tower was conveyed to the U. S. Lighthouse Society which recently became amenable to an ownership reversion of the tower, in hopes that a new steward could be found for the lighthouse that sits near Middle Hooper Island in the Chesapeake Bay near Hoopersville, Maryland.
The Hooper Island Lighthouse is one of only a small number of United States lighthouses that rests atop a caisson foundation that was sunk using the pneumatic process. The lighthouse once housed a 4th order Fresnel lens that had been manufactured in 1888 by F. Barbier & Co. of Paris, France. However, in 1976, a number of years after the lighthouse had been automated and its keepers removed, it was discovered that the lens had been stolen.
This story appeared in the
May/Jun 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.