Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Monhegan Island Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Monhegan Light

Nearest Town or City:
Monhegan, Maine, United States

Location: Monhegan Island, 10 miles southwest of Port Clyde.

Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Jeremy D'Entremont
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Monhegan Historical & Cultural Museum Association

Telephone: 207-596-7003


Contact Address Information:
1 Lighthouse Hill
Maine, 04852, United States

In 1962 the lighthouse station, except for the tower, was sold to the Monhegan Associates. In 1985 it was transferred to the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association. The lighthouse became the property of the association in 1997 under the Maine Lights Program. The Coast Guard still maintains the active optic.

Tower Height: 47

Height of Focal Plane: 178

Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 15 seconds, visible for 20 nautical miles.

Description of Tower: Conical granite tower with black cast iron lantern.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1874 1.5 story wood frame Gothic Revival keeper's house, c. 1893 oil house, garage, storage building, chicken coop, 1998 replica assistant keeper's house and adjacent shed.

Earlier Towers?
1824 - 30-foot stone tower.

Date Established: 1824

Date Present Tower Built: 1850

Date Automated: 1959

Optics: 1824: 10 lamps and reflectors; 1856: Second order Fresnel lens; 1959: 2nd order lens removed and later destroyed; 1959: DCB-36 Revolving Beacon; 1995: Vega VRB-25 solar powered optic.

Fog Signal: 1854: fog bell; 1870: Daboll fog trumpet on neighboring Manana Island; c. 1870s: steam whistle at Monhegan Island Light; 1877: First class Daboll fog trumpet at Manana Island. Now automated fog horn at Manana Island. An 1855 fog bell is on display.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.

Open To Public? Museum and grounds only.

The Monhegan Museum, founded in 1968 in the keeper's house, is open daily 11:30 to 3:30, July 1 through early September. The museum displays a wide variety of exhibits on the unique history of Monhegan Island. In 1998 the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association built a replica of an 1857 assistant keeper's house; the new building now serves as an art museum.

Monhegan Island is accessible by ferry (passengers only -- no cars) from Port Clyde, Boothbay Harbor and New Harbor. For information on the year round ferry from Port Clyde, call the Monhegan-Thomaston Boat Line at (207) 372-8848 or email them at For information on the seasonal ferry from Boothbay Harbor, call Balmy Days Cruises at (207) 633-2284. Hardy Boat Cruises runs the ferry from New Harbor from May to October; call them at (207) 677-2026 or (800) 2-PUFFIN or email them at

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Thomas B. Seavey (1824-1834); George B. Wormell (1834-1841); Samuel Abbey (Albee ?) (1841-1845); Francis Pierce (1845-1849); John Hatch (1849); James Wallace II (1849-1853); Thomas Orne (Horn ?) (1853-1857); Francis A. Handley (1857-1861); Joseph P. (F ?) Humphrey (1861-1862); Betty Morrow Humphrey (1862-1880); Sidney G. Studley (1880-1883); William Stanley (1883-1902); Daniel Stevens (1902-1919); Herbert Robinson (1919-1922); Maurice M. Weaver (1922-1924); Norman Oliver (1924); Charles Dyer (1924-1936); William H. Woodward (1936-1937); Vinal Foss (1937-1945); John Faulkingham (1945-1951); William Bardwell (1951-1952); Paul Baptiste (1952-1954); Henley Day (1954-1956); Ernest DeRaps (1956-1957); Davey Blount, Jr. (1957-1960). ASSISTANTS: Sylvester Davis (1855-1857), Thomas Kinney (1857-1861), David N. Bond (1957-1859), D. Lermond (1859-1861), Henry T. Studley (1861-1870), Elisha R. Davis (1861-1872), Thomas Hall (1870-1871), Francis A. Brackett (1871-1872), Bradbury Emerson (1872-1873), Sidney G. Studley (1872-1880), Andrew J. Marston (1873-1876), Fred F. Humphrey (1880-1901), Charles M. Griffin (1901-1904), Walter S. Adams (1904-1907), Leo Allen (1907-1909), Jerome C. Brawn (1909), Charles H. Newman (1909-1911), Maurice M. Weaver (1911-1913), Lester Leighton (1913-1914), W. W. Corbett (1914-1920), Harold I. Hutchins (1920-1922).

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History