Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Admiralty Head Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Red Bluff Light

Nearest Town or City:
Coupeville, Washington, United States

Location: Admiralty Inlet, Puget Sound.

Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Lynn Lary

Managing Organization:
Admiralty Head Lighthouse

Telephone: 360-679-7391


Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 5000
1280 Engle Road
Washington, 98239, United States

The lantern from this lighthouse was transfered to the New Dungeness Lighthouse in 1927. The lighthouse station was used by the Army as a K-9 training site during World War II. The station was transfered to the State of Washington in 1950. Washington State University Extension/Island County's environmental programs provide volunteers in exchange for office space in the lighthouse. Admiralty Head Lighthouse has two docents; a gift shop docent and an interpretive docent. The docents are all WA State Park Volunteers. Keepers of the Admiralty Head Lighthouse, a member organization of Lighthouse Environmental Programs, (a Washington non-profit and tax-exempt organization) is the fund-raising arm for Admiralty Head Lighthouse projects. All docents at the lighthouse are managed by a Washington State Park Program Specialist stationed at Fort Casey State Park. In 2012, the lighthouse received a new 5000-pound historically accurate reproduction lantern that was made by students.

Tower Height: 30

Height of Focal Plane: 127

Description of Tower: White, conical brick and stucco tower atatched to keeper's quarters, with replica lantern.

This light is not operational

Earlier Towers?
1861: Square tower on roof of two-story wooden dwelling.

Date Established: 1861

Date Present Tower Built: 1903

Tower Moved?

Date Deactivated: 1922

Optics: The fixed 4th order Fresnel lens was removed in 1927 by the U.S. Lighthouse Service, 13th District, but it is not located or on display at Admiralty Head Lighthouse.Its current whereabouts are unknown. On display at Admiralty Head Lighthouse are two lenses: a fixed 4th order lens on long-term loan from the US Coast Guard to Washington State Parks, which likely came from Burrows Head Light Station in Washington and a rotating 4th order lens that likely came from Alki Point Lighthouse also in Washington.

Current Use: Museum.

Open To Public? Yes.

Lighthouse Hours -- March: Saturdays and Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. April and May: Thursday through Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. June through September: Wednesday through Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. October: Saturday & Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Holiday Hours: From Thanksgiving through Christmas, open weekends 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Group tours and school groups must be booked two weeks in advance. Admission is free, but donations are appreciated.

Fort Casey State Park and the lighthouse are on State Highway 20, three miles south of Coupeville on Whidbey Island, Island County. Whidbey Island can be accessed from three directions: 1) from the northeast on SR-20 via the Deception Pass Bridge, 2) from the south on SR-525 via the Clinton-Mukilteo Ferry, and 3) via the Keystone-Port Townsend Ferry from the Olympic Peninsula.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: William Robertson (1861-1865); Daniel Pearson (1865-1878); Georgia Pearson (assistant c. 1860s); Laurence Nessel (1878-1888); Joseph E. Evans (1888-1903); Charles Davis (1903-1914); Edward Scannel (1914-1919); Hans Score (1919-1922); "Doc" Kistemacher (1922)

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History