Contact Address Information:
31 South Rhode Island Avenue
In 1912, 10,000 people signed the visitor log at Absecon Light, making it the most visited lighthouse in the U.S. at that time. Restoration of the lighthouse has been ongoing since 1997. The reconstructed keeper's house, finished in 1998, was destroyed by fire a few days after it was completed. It has been rebuilt again and houses a museum, gift shop, and visitor center. The lighthouse was relit in 1997, but it does not serve as an aid to navigation. It's lit each night "for show" only.
Tower Height: 171
Height of Focal Plane: 167
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower, yellow with black band in middle, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: January 15, 1857
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Deactivated: 1933
Optics: 1857: First order Fresnel lens
Current Use: Historic landmark.
Open To Public? Yes.
In Atlantic Cty, head north on Atlantic Avenue. Turn right onto Rhode Island Avenue and continue to Pacific Avenue. The lighthouse is at the corner of Rhode Island and Pacific.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Daniel Scull (1856-1861), William Bartlett (1861-1865), John Nixon (1865-1873), Abraham Wolf (1873-1896), Thomas Bills (1896-1914), Knud Hanson (1914-?)