Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Amelia Island Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Fernandina Beach, Florida, United States

Location: Entrance to St. Mary's River.

Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Kenneth Kochel
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
City of Fernandina Beach

Telephone: 904-277-7305


This lighthouse was built largely from a dismantled 1820 lighthouse on Great Cumberland Island, Georgia. The city received a $350,000 state grant in 2002 to restore the lighthouse, and the restoration was completed in 2004.

Tower Height: 64

Height of Focal Plane: 107

Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 10 seconds.

Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower with black cast iron lantern.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1950 keeper's dwelling, oil house.

Date Established: 1838

Date Present Tower Built: 1838

Date Automated: 1956

Optics: 1903: Third order Fresnel lens, still in use.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.

Open To Public? No.

The light station is not open to the public, but the upper part of the tower (the lower part is blocked by foliage) can be photographed from Florida Route A1A (Atlantic Ave.) in Fernandina Beach between Fort Clinch (Park Drive) and North Wolfe Street. From John Warnick: While the Atlantic Ave location will provide a view and photograph, a better view and photo are possible by entering the park. Shortly after paying the small fee, there is an area on the left with information about the lighthouse. If you follow the path you will be offered a better view of the lighthouse.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Amos Latham (1838-?), Capt. E. Richardson, Mary Whalton, George W. Whalton, Horace Vaughn, James W. Woodland, Christopher C. Moore, George Lightner, James H. Parker, Joseph H. Donnelly, Miles J. Thompson, Henry Swain, Henry Gage, Samuel Petty, Joseph S. Howell, Charles William Grimm (?-c.1910), Thomas P. O'Hagen, Thomas J. O'Hagen, Otho Brown, ASSISTANTS: Mrs. Winifred Woodland, William M. McGline, Benjamin Randall, Jane M. Donnelly, Elisha Suydam, Dewayne W. Suydam, Benjamin Vepan, Edward Mordecai, Adam Williams, John Elwood McKay, Edward E. Pepper, Joseph Hendricks, Jos. Bundy, Wilbur J. Scott, Eugene J. Dozier, J.T. Burn

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History