Friends of Anclote Key State Park and Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1561
The lighthouse fell into disrepair after being deactivated in 1984. The lighthouse now belongs to the State of Florida and is part of the Anclote Key State Preserve State Park. (See www.floridastateparks.org/anclotekey/ or call 727-469-5918 for information on the park.) A lighthouse restoration was funded by state and federal funds as well as donations, and was a collaborative effort of International Chimney Corporation and Cornerstone Restorations. The lighthouse was relighted on September 13, 2003. In 2004 a new house was built near the lighthouse to serve as a residence for a park ranger. The Friends of Anclote Key State Park and Lighthouse, formed in 2005, have opened the lighthouse to the public.
Tower Height: 102
Height of Focal Plane: 110
Characteristic and Range: Four white flashes every 20 seconds.
Description of Tower: Brown, skeletal cast iron tower with central cylinder and black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1887
Date Present Tower Built: 1887
Date Deactivated: 1984-2003
Optics: 1887: Third order Fresnel lens. Now Tidelands TRB-220 lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation in state preserve.
Open To Public? Yes (occasional open houses).
Anclote Key State Preserve is three miles off Tarpon Springs and is accessible only by boat. Sun Line Cruises of Tarpon Springs offers nature cruises that include views of the lighthouse -- see www.sunlinecruises.com
or call 727-944-4468.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Gardner (1887-1888); Samuel E. Hope, Jr., assistant (1887-1888) then keeper (1888-1889); James M. Baggett, assistant (1888-1889) then keeper (1889-1891); Robert S. Meyer, assistant (1889-1891) then keeper (1891-1914 and 1923-1933); Thomas A. Moody (1914-1923); Jordan W. Hope, assistant (1888); ; T. G. Thompson, assistant (1891-1892); George M. Angus, assistant (1892-1898, died in service); Thomas S. Coleman, assistant (1898-1901); B. F. Meyer, temporary assistant (1901); John Peterson, assistant (1901-1904); David D. Klinger, assistant (1904-1911); Osborn C. Johnson, assistant (1911-1912); Clifton H. Lopez, assistant (1912-1914), E. R. Washington, assistant (1914-1920), G. B. Watkins, assistant (1920-1923), J. L. Pippin (1933-1947), Andy Staab (Coast Guard, 1943)