Digest>Jul/Aug 2017

Photo Caption:

Appearing like an impregnable fortress upon the rock with no visible means of access, this very rare view of derrick-less Tillamook Rock Lighthouse was taken only six days after the horrific 1934 October storm that swept away the entire derrick and boom assembly into the sea. The photo was taken by 17th District Assistant Superintendent E.C. Merrill, who arrived for an inspection visit on the Tender Manzanita to assess the storm damage and debrief the keepers about their experiences during the storm. His subsequent report was used for the write-up of the storm that was recounted in the 1934 November issue of the Lighthouse Service Bulletin. (Courtesy Coast Guard Historian.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017


The Terrifying Tale of Terrible Tilly’s Perfect Storm of the Century
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017

All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.


to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse Jewelry

Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History